HOUSING QUALITY INSPECTOR
|June 18, 2013 - July 18, 2013|
|Location:||San Antonio, TX|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Performs specialized work of average difficulty involving the inspection of single and multi-family residential dwellings to determine their physical condition, necessary repairs and conformance to applicable housing quality standards (HQS), regulations, codes as well as responsible for the negotiation of reasonable rents as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
An essential function (E) is a duty or responsibility that is a critical or unique component of the job and is required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations
• Conducts Annual HQS inspections to determine external and internal conditions of dwellings under the Assisted Housing Programs including the operability of the associated heating, electrical, and plumbing systems and the like to determine livability and conformance with housing quality standards and other applicable regulations. (E)
• Performs follow-up inspections to determine completion of repairs indicated on previous inspection and makes recommendations to supervisor for appropriate follow-up action when necessary. (E)
• Certifies the reasonableness of proposed rents for units by evaluating the condition of the dwelling and comparing the fair market value of the area to the proposed rent. (E)
• Performs inspection of unit(s) after tenant has moved out (move-out inspections) to document condition of unit, operational systems, and appliances (when applicable), in order to determine tenant caused damages vs. fair wear and tear, identify repairs needed for re-occupancy and estimates the cost of repairs to the dwelling. (E)
• Assumes responsibility for the general maintenance of assigned SAHA vehicles and gas cards and well as all other issued equipment.
• Responds to the inquiries of clients and the general public by providing general information about the assisted housing programs.
• Performs special or complaint inspections to ensure HQS compliance. (E)
• Ensures timely completion of required forms, or reports.
• Participates in informal hearings to resolve conflicts between residents and owners and provide recourse for claims made against residents and/or owners.
• Researches resident files as need to verify information regarding utilities, appliances, or other pertinent information.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the San Antonio Housing Authority will make reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee to enable people with disabilities to enjoy equal employment opportunities, if it would not impose an “undue hardship” on the operation of the employer’s business.
|Qualifications:|| MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS|
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Two (2) years of experience in the real estate, construction, housing inspection or property management field.
• Housing Quality Standards Inspection Certification required within 1 year of employment.
• Texas Class “C” driver's license at the time of placement and must be insurable by the Housing Authority’s liability and fleet insurance carrier.
•Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education and work history verification and drug screening test.
• Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school preferred.
• Specialization in Real Estate, Building Trades, Property Management or Residential Inspections preferred.
•Completion of HQS training and passing of the HQS exam preferred.
•Professional Real Estate Inspector preferred.
•Licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
Applications will be reviewed for relevant experience, education, and training. Applications must be detailed and complete for proper evaluation. The best-qualified applicants may be required to complete further testing, which may consist of any combination of written, oral, or performance examinations. Responses to supplemental questions are required if applicable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of applicable code of federal regulations (CFR), HUD rules and regulations, SAHA’s policies and procedures, and/or relevant federal, state, and local laws.
• Skill in interpreting and applying statutes, rules, codes, and regulations.
• Knowledge of residential and multi-family building codes, maintenance and health standards, and HUD’s HQS procedures.
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local building, zoning, housing and safety laws, rules ordinances, codes, and regulations.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of housing inspections to conduct field inspections.
• Basic working knowledge for visual application of the Uniform Building Code, Uniform Mechanical Code, National Electrical Code, and the Uniform Plumbing Code.
• Knowledge of San Antonio’s residential rental market conditions.
• Knowledge of client service principles and practices and ability to apply.
• Knowledge of basic mathematics.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co- workers, supervisors, and the general public.
• Ability to work with a diverse population.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Evening and weekend work may be required.
• Office and community site environments
• Driving a vehicle to conduct work
• Various and adverse weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
• Periodic unsanitary conditions and stressful situations in occupied and unoccupied apartments and houses.
• Hearing and speaking effectively to exchange information verbally, in writing and in group settings and/or individually.
• Seeing and perception of the full range of the color spectrum to conduct inspections and read a variety of materials.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers too continually and repetitively and for extended periods of time operate a computer keyboard or electronic handheld input device.
• Bending at the waist or stooping repeatedly or continually, kneeling or crouching.
• Handling and climbing ladders
• Climbing stairs and working from heights.
• Standing or sitting for extended periods of time.
• Walking for extended periods of time, with ability to travel over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces, during site visits.
As a state-chartered agency, SAHA is committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards. Applicants selected for employment are expected to perform work responsibilities with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism and honesty, to merit the respect of our co-workers, clients, partners, vendors and the general public. Applicants selected for employment are also expected to serve the public with dedication, concern, courtesy and responsiveness.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
This position specification is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this position specification at any time, without notice.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.
Get Notified of New Jobs at San Antonio Housing Authority